Every student faces the question of which course to choose after completing class 12th. A helpless 16 years old student is faced with the number of courses to choose from and the only career advice he/she has is the opinion of his/her parents, teacher’s judgment based on the marks scored in previous academic years, or comments of friends and neighbors. Unfortunately, the student struggles to decide on the right educational stream suitable for him/her due to the complexities arising out of opinions received from different people.
Besides engineering and medicine, there are plenty of other courses which students can explore if they have knowledge about the same. Unfortunately, many students are unaware about various courses that they can consider. It is at this point that a Career Counselling service for a student can assist him/her pass through these turbulent times. Career Counselling can help students look at different career opportunities taking into consideration the socio-economic situations.
What is Career Counselling ?
Career Counselling is a process of assisting students regarding educational issues such as course and college selection. It helps students to make wise decision regarding their future career paths.
Career Counselling sessions will provide you with an opportunity to decide on the course that is appropriate and within your potential. Your skills, interest, academic strengths and weaknesses, and preferences will be evaluated through tests, and then matched to streams that meet your needs.
The importance of Career Counselling is that it clarifies your thought and helps you to identify your core interest.
When to Choose Career Counselling?
With various courses available to choose from, often students are unable to discover their interests and potentials at the stage. This is when pressure starts building. In this case, seeking the help of a qualified and experienced career counselor becomes essential who can help in finding out your potential and aptitude and accordingly suggest the right course.
How to Choose a Career Counselor?
While credentials are not the only thing you should look at, career counselors are good starting point when you are choosing someone to counsel you about your educational matter. Look for a professional career consultant who,
- Demonstrate different courses, their demand, and career options.
- Clearly explain their services and associated costs.
- Be committed to maintaining high standards in their services.
- Focus on minimizing stress and anxiety.
- Works with all kinds of students whether they are underachievers or top scorers.
- Spends quality time learning about your teenage and finding out what kind of stream would be best for you academically, geographically, socially and financially.
How Does a Career Counselor Work?
The teenage years are often the most transformative and crucial stage of a student’s life. Most of the times students make decisions based on their limited knowledge or pre conceived notions. It is not easy to peep in to the reality of every profession. Career advice by a career counselor helps every student on the path to a holistic development in the areas of academics. A career counselor provides career guidance after 12th std. to determine the best course for you to help you achieve your goals. A career consultant not only help you explore the best career options, but also help you make the right career decision that is suitable to your interest and abilities.
A career counselor:
- Determines your requirements with regard to what you wish to pursue once you complete your class 12th.
- Formulates a good plan for you with regard to looking at courses, colleges or career.
- Helps you in the decision-making process.
- Guide you through you educational journey.
- Provides moral support.
- Meet students regarding educational matter.
- Identifies the suitable course based on your personal and academic strengths along with career options associated with it.
- Answers questions relating to financial aid to pursue educational goals.
Benefits of Career Counselling:
Guidance and Counselling in education is very important to make a good career decision. Career Counselling is really beneficial for students on deciding which course to embark on, and there are many reasons it is necessary:
- Regular aptitude tests and counselling sessions conducted by career experts can help students in finding out the right course that interest them.
- Career Counselling can help students clear their career doubts by giving them a clear view of what they can expect from various educational courses.
- A Career Counselor boosts the morale of a student by understanding the kind of requirements.
- To conclude, the crux of career counselling is to provide the essential guidance and counselling in education that would help the student to pick the right course and ultimately, make the right career decision.